Saturday, March 3, 2012

Either I'm busy or this Blogging Thing is not easy to keep up with...

Well, I'm NOT busy... so must be the latter.  In the kitchen today making some yummy recipes. If I don't type about my diet, it will not have gone to crap, right?  I'm afraid to step on my scales and hope it's batteries die before I know my true weight gain. Still in the "smaller" clothes... but OH SO TIGHT!

Now... On to the recipes... (insert smile here ~ with my font, the smiley face looks lopsided so I don't use it... or maybe I should. I do have my Lopsided Days too!) Ever heard of Sweet Onion Jam? Do you like Onions? Aged Balsamic Vinegar and REAL Maple Syrup?  You'd LOVE this combination. Takes a bit of time (carmelizing and simmering down for 2.5 hours total) but OH SO WORTH IT. If you want the recipe, type into a google search... "Blaak Sweet Onion Jam" and you find you can purchase it pre-made OR you can get your ingredients local and make it yourself! I'm simmering the Maple Syrup portion now about 15 min away from done.  OK... funny story... trial and error sort of thingy. Didn't know if I would like it so I used "Table... aka FAKE... Syrup instead of the real McCoy. Lesson learned. Everything seemed great. Poured into sterilized jar (BTW... recipe only makes about 8-10 ounces of jam/chutney.) and as it was cooling, I couldn't resist and opened the seal. Was FANTASTIC. So into the fridge it had to go because I'd unsealed it.  Took it out the next day to have some and it was as hard as a freakin' brick... I kid you NOT.  I think it was because glucose/fructose do not have the same chemical properties as real sugar.. anyway... I ate it but had to re-heat it in the microwave each time I wanted some... which leads me to my new favourite sandwich... THANK-YOU Martha Stewart... and I'll only say that once in this lifetime!

Bacon-Blue Cheese Sandwiches (Are you listening Kyle?)

Sourdough  Bread
Sweet Onion Jam
Blue Cheese Slices (I found Castello Brand Rosenborg Danish Blue Cheese at Metro)
Fried Irish or Canadian Bacon (What the heck is Irish Bacon... guess which one I used?)
Butter for Bread

Think Grilled Cheese Sandwich... butter bread on outside... fill with ingredients and place on hot skillet. If you think you've not melted the cheese, or if you are making a large qty of sandwiches  and need to keep them warm before serving(as in the case of the recipe for beer tasting ~ recommended with dark beers btw ), pop them into a 350 degree oven to continue to "melt" until ready to serve.

Now onto my next recipe if we don't lose power.

 So sad about all the lives lost in the central US due to those damned tornados! Now much calmer winds have arrived here... Wind of 60km with gusts of 90km have been with us all day. Not lost power yet but still wondering if I should trust it to bake with.  Another thing... Should I try to make a recipe that I can't pronounce?  Cheese Gougeres... and there's a funny symbol above the first "e". Accentague or some such thing... maybe a backwards accentague.  I feel like I'm the last standing anglophone... well in Ottawa anyway!

Cheese Gourgeres... Think appetiser puff balls without a filling because it is incorporated into the batter and baked at a lower temperature so the balls will not develop a hollow center for regular filling.  Incorporated into batter will be finely chopped Green Onion, freshly grated Parmesan Cheese, and Pancetta (Think Italian Bacon).

Time to bottle up my jam.  I will get back on my weight-loss program but it's so darn hard eating rabbit food in winter when you have to stay warm!

Hope you are all successful in your endeavours and that I haven't swayed you too far off track with my recipe... or should I say Martha Stewart's.

No comments:

Post a Comment